Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What can you do for me?

I was visiting with a prospective client the other day, and they asked me a very interesting question:

“What can you do for me that I’m not already getting from my current agent?”

Now THAT’S the million dollar question! To be honest with you, I spent the first 10 years of my insurance not really able to answer that question with an effective response. Some of my stammering included:

---“Because I am very knowledgeable”

---“I have 10 years experience”

---“My winning personality!”

---We give the best service (what does that really mean?)

The last few years, I have been more focused on helping the customer find ways to reduce their risks in their business through focusing on their operation and creating more knowledge and awareness of claims management in their organization. I have found that it’s not the truck that causes a wreck, not the building that causes liability, and not the job function that causes an employee to get injured- it’s the people in your organization that cause the claims!

I have spent the last 4-5 years trying to help my customers create a better working environment for their employees, as well as setting expectations for those employees. Some insureds are better than others at taking experienced advice. Those customers have seen tremendous results in their risk management programs- others not so much.

Back to original question: “What can you do for me that I’m not already getting from my current agent?” Let me answer that question-

“We have been very successful at helping you the business owner or manager find new and innovative ways to run your business more effectively with fewer claims and better response to the claims you do have. In short, we can make your company more profitable in the long run than our competition. I feel extremely confident about that fact.”

What about your business? What can you do for your customers that they are not already getting from a competitor? Let me know your thoughts to this question.

Bobby Bland PWCA, CIC
Vice President
Commercial Risk Service

No comments:

Post a Comment